South Africa Cape Town Mission Web site click below

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

...we got 82 this week!

Im back! We're not normally allowed to do this, but today its okay. It feels kind of weird going on the computer on a Tuesday! As for the camera, you looking online wont do much. I would get one here, but then the battery charger would never work back home because the plugs are different. Yeah I need a camera to take pictures! I dont know whats wrong with Kelly's old one. It just turns on for like 3 seonds, then shuts off. dang it haha

Thats cool that Derek got his mission call there! Lots of church history in that part of the states. Yessie I bet its hot! Did they ever get my postcard I sent them?! and the Sextons?!

Yeah the I think the linger longers were just getting started before I left. I wish we had them here! Good luck with fixing "my" truck hahaha.

Sounds like you guys are quite the sharp shooters! haha I have the shotgun merit badge.
Time is just flying by! when people ask me how long I've been on mission and when I go home, it is starting to feel really weird when I say "I go home in September" ahhh. I feel like its going to be bitter sweet, but it is still a long way away and I got lots of hard work left to do over here in South Africa.

The week was good, and pretty hot. we went bowling last Monday! I'll be honest, I wasnt really wanting to go, but once we got there and started, we all had a blast!! There was no one else in the entire place, and the music they played was good. What!? haha it made me feel "normal" just for like 30 minutes, and by the way, I won! Elder Twitchell is pretty good. He went to Logan lanes often! haha.

Last week I went on exchanges with Elder Speed. We had lots of fun together. He is a powerful elder who knows his stuff. When we were teaching a lesson and this less active guy thought there were more people on the earth during the time of Adam and Eve because in the bible it says how Cain went into another land with his wife, or something like that. Elder Speed wipped out the book of Moses and explained it to him, and hushed all of his doubt and fears and answered his question. haha it was sweet. The guy didn't come to church on Sunday.

Probably the highlight of the week was when we made our stand! It was on Thursday afternoon, in the blazing Cape Town sun. The zone leaders joined us, and we had like a table all set up and everything. We did it on main road, so lots and lots of people saw us. I'll be honest, it was scary! I dont really like street contacting all that much. I'm just a shy guy who never really raised his hand in class to ask or answer a question, and now the Lord expects me to walk up to a random person on the street who probably wants nothing to do with me or what I have to say and expects me to talk to him! Some elders just make it look easy. On Thursday, this one guy I met just kept talking to me for a long time. While I was doing that, the other 3 elders that were there were contacting people left and right! They all got like 15+ contacts, when I only got in the single digits. For some reason afterwards I felt bad, like I kind of let the Lord down by not talking to as many people as I could. I didn't do my very best. It was a learning experience and I know I can do it, I just need to be bold and confident and trust in the spirit. Overall, we gave like our name and number and a pamphlet to over 50 people, and not one of them has contacted us, or came to church. We are going to follow up with them this week, so hopefully some of them will progress. It was fun to watch sometimes how Elder Staheli, who was there, would just start walking with people haha. Most of the white people were not wanting anything to do with us! haha. Depending on how things go in the future, we might do it again. Because nothing happens in missionary work until you find someone to teach! With that stand, we were able to accomplish our goal of contacting 70 people. As a matter of fact, we got 82 this week!

We helped a new couple from another ward in the area, move into our area! yes! those other elders said they love having the elders over for supper! Niceee. I had to hold their 6 month old son for a few minutes! It was awesome. You shoulda seen his big eyes look up at me, and probably wondered who is this weird looking white guy holding me, I want my mommy! haha.

On Sunday we had 2 nice DA's. yum yum. and even last night at FHE this lady from Durban cooked this amazing curry! I guess in Durban there are lots of Indians.

We taught this one guy who we met on the street about the gospel and he wasnt having anything to do with it! heck, he wouldnt even read out of the book of mormon. I mean, come on. Dont judge a book by its cover bru! oh well, his loss. He doesnt know what he's missing. There were so many things we coulda fryed him with out of the Book of Mormon, but being the missionaries and representatives of Jesus Christ that we are, we held back. All we can do is invite others to come unto Christ. If they dont wanna hear it, well, then by golly we'll just go find someone who will!

We also taught this sweet family from Zimbabwe. the tata (dad) is normally very busy, but we caught him at home and had a powerful lesson! we watched the restoration dvd, and the siprit was there! They just need to get themselves to church. Tonight we're going to teach them about the plan of salvation, so hopefully that will go well.

Elder Twitchell is the king at getting packages and his family sent him chocolate Swiss Rolls! Ya know, the ones we always would buy and eat after dinner! Yeah, he shared with me, and it was a nice taste from home.

One thing that I've noticed is that everyone says that us Americans have an accent! Yeah I guess we do. I sometimes tell people the first time that I meet them that I'm like from Russia or somewhere crazy, and they believe me 9 times out of 10 haha.

Yesterday was hectic! I'm still bummed about the clouds, because even today theres not a cloud in the sky! Oh well. I might wanna get some revenge on that mountain and climb it again sometime...because the view, I know, will be unreal! We'll see.

I'm glad you got the package. I thought long and hard about what I should get you guys. Let me know anything else you want from Africa and I'll for sure get it and bring it home in September! I wanna know where/how you're gonna use the stuff I sent ya.

The 2 scriptures are 2 Nephi 31:3

For my soul delighteth in plainness; for after this manner doth the Lord God work among the children of men. For the Lord God giveth light unto the understanding; for he speaketh unto men according to their language, unto their understanding.

and D&C 98:11-12

11 And I give unto you a commandment, that ye shall forsake all evil and cleave unto all good, that ye shall live by every word which proceedeth forth out of the mouth of God.

12 For he will give unto the faithful line upon line, precept upon precept; and I will try you and prove you herewith.

Well, thats all for today. Now its time to go out into Babylon and do some missionary work,
Have a great week!! Love you all very much, you know!
-Elder Haws

No comments:

Post a Comment