South Africa Cape Town Mission Web site click below

Monday, February 13, 2012

I got myself a testimony now!

Dear Family,

I didnt get your package yet. Don't worry, I cant wait to get it but I can just rot my teeth with all the valentines day stuff Elder Twitchell has haha. As for my camera, it turned on last night! Yeah I just use Elder Twitchell's sim card to send the few pictures home to y'all. I haven't heard a country song in a longgg time. Elder Twitchell loves country. Of course I'm cooking okay here! No complaints.

Thats very nice of sister Sutherland! What a great family.
My area = beautiful!
This week was pretty awesome. The last week of the transfer! I'll be honest, that was fast! There has been some rumors about transfers..but we'll see what happens. I'll go wherever the Lord needs me, and serve with all my heart, might, mind and strength...like I always do! We actually have a missionary down from Namibia with us at the moment. He is training a new missionary, so is just staying with us for a few days and gets training from president along with the other elders that are training. His name is Elder Leach. He is sweet!! We all stayed up late last night chatting. I saw the one and only Zambian boss, Elder Thole last night! I'm pretty sure he's going AP. Man, I miss that guy soo much! It was way nice to see him.

Can you believe that this past week I clicked 17 months on mission! Unreal. I kinda didn't even realize it until part way through the day. Next month, I'll be 75% done with mission! noooo.

Last Monday we went to the doctor for Elder Twitchell, and there just happened to be a big screen TV there, and it just happened to be on a sports channel! Serious! That was the day after the Super Bowl, so I saw some highlights!! Man, you shoulda seen us. I bet the people there thought we were weird! I miss sports! It was freakin nice to see it. Looked like an epic game. Next year I'll watch it.

We were over in Fish Hoek (find it on the map, center left) with the other elders, so there were 4 of us, and this random lady had the nerve to straight up tell us that we didn't need anything more than the bible and that basically that we were wasting out time. wow. We just stood there in shock that she would say something like that to us. She just walked away and we just started laughing. haha. This other random lady asked us where the nearest place was to buy beer.... haha!

I saw a cool thing in the township in our area. We were sitting in the car waiting for someone, and this guy was standing outside the boot (trunk) of his car and had like 3, 20 gallon buckets there. A person came up to the car, he opened the buckets, and pulled out intestines! Literally! Thats what people eat over here. I was shocked when someone gave him some Rand, he put the intestines and probably other stuff in just a grocery bag, and that was it! No thanks. haha I wish we took a picture.

This past week I did 2 baptismal interviews for the Fish Hoek elders! It was fun. I made sure they were prepared and ready to be baptized, and they were! They passed with flying colors. I just wish I could be there for when they get baptized. We had a nice taco dinner with the one and only Scheeper family last night. it was delicious.

Yesterday we had a guy walk over an hour to get to church. The crazy thing was, that he walked the same way the day before so that he would know where the church was! He was sweating when he got there, and thank goodness we organized a lift for him to get home. Now that is faith. We met another guy, who was a member though, and he walked a rediciolus distance to get to church, and to pay his tithing. I'll always remember people like that. It makes the little things I'm asked to do seem like nothing.

Did you know that Cape Town was the first stake here in South Africa, and that it still hasnt spit yet. Thats not good. I can tell why...some of the members just arent very commited and are lazy. Shame man.

Well, I found 2 scriptures for you daddy. Deut 6:13 and Deut 21:18-12

The normal weekly scriptures are:

D&C 6:13
If thou wilt do good, yea, and hold out faithful to the end, thou shalt be saved in the kingdom of God, which is the greatest of all the gifts of God; for there is no gift greater than the gift of salvation.

Isaiah 55:8-9
8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.
9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Have you ever thought or realized that the sun never sets on missionary work. I love the thought that all of my friends are sharing and going through the same things that I'm going through. I bet all of them just wish they were serving here in Cape Town! What an amazing place to be a missionary. I see something new and beautiful each and every day. Its been nice, I got myself a testimony now! I've developed it over time from serving here, but I think back before mission, I was just going through the motions and relying on other peoples testimonies. Not anymore! The church is true!

LOVE YOU GUYS!!
-Elder Haws

Where we do our washing...matching Aggie shirts!

Doin' work
 

No comments:

Post a Comment