South Africa Cape Town Mission Web site click below

Monday, February 20, 2012

I’m just having the time of my life serving the Lord.

Family!!

ha-ha daddy, those scriptures were just a joke! I’m studying a little bit in Deut, so just thought I’d send 'em your way. haha. Nice pictures this week! That’s what I’m talking about! That bracelet is for Kelly. Glad to hear the mighty Wolverines are doing well! Shame about the Aggies. What’s their problem haha. Yeah we might try the stand again. Sounds like that movie from here in Cape Town was good. Some members here went and saw it. Langa is not far from where I am. My camera is behaving itself. I mostly just copy the pictures that my companion takes. So I’m not missing any moments from my mission! I’m capturing them all. I can still make the clicks with my mouth, and I still know some Xhosa, but I feel like I’ve lost some, just because I don’t speak it as often as I did. Yeah I’m not sure if I’ll go up to Namibia. It would be very nice, but it’s not something that I am just dying to do. Either way, it okay with me. But at the moment, there’s only like 2 elders up there. Darn visa problems!
Elder Leach and us,,,
Alright, time to report on my week! It was a great one..wait, they are all great! You know. as you can tell, Elder Twitchell and I are staying together another transfer! Yes! I’m glad. There was some changes in my district. The other area, Fish Hoek, got 2 more elders! So there’s 6 people in the district! More responsibility for me, yippee! haha. Elder Speed left, and Elder Park got a greenie! His name is Elder Burton, and yes he is defiantly a greenie! He's from a small town in eastern Utah, where his high school graduating class was 46! Serious. A total farm boy. So you can imagine what culture shock he has! haha He’s scared of the township in his area. But he seems like a sweet guy and a good missionary. The other 2 elders got white washed into the township in the Fish Hoek area. Its Elder Mookie from Jo-burg and Elder Mamaia from Samoa! I freakin love both of those guys! Elder Mamaia is in my transfer and I’ve been eager to serve around him! He is one of the coolest missionaries ever! Always happy and energetic and funny! ah, I love that guy so much. I can’t wait to go on exchanges with him. So with this new district, I have bigger district meetings obviously and I have to go on exchanges with every elder in the district for training, so that will be fun. I get to take all of their reports each week, nice.

We got 2 new zone leaders. They were white washed into their area. Elder Ncube and Elder Rogers, they are awesome! I have been very impressed with them so far. It makes a difference when your zone leaders magnify their calling and work hard.

This week we were in the area of where a member of our bishopric stays, and felt like we should just pop in and visit, and come to find out he was very sick and was meaning to phone us so we could give him a blessing, and it just so happened that we showed up on his doorstep. Amazing how the Lord works sometimes. Also, our ward had a talent show the other night! It was fun! Elder Twitchell and I didn’t do anything...we totally should have! Oh well. Lots of people in the ward have lots of talent.

We had a strange experience this week. We've been working with this less active man, and he’s doing sweet, but at the end of our last lesson his wife came and sat down and they expressed how they were having some major marriage problems! We told them how we're just little missionaries and that the bishop would be more qualified to deal with the situation, but they just wanted us to be there and listen. So we did..for 2 long hours! Man. haha. They need some help. We did the best we could as missionaries, but ultimately its up to them to solve their problems. I sure hope and pray that they do. After the lesson Elder Twitchell just looked at each other and said what was that! haha.

We did some tracting this week! I hadn’t done it in a while because we focused our finding on street contacting, but there’s just something, I don’t know if fun is the word, about tracting. You just never know what is on the other side of that door. For some strange reason, Elder Twitchell just absolutely loves doing it! haha. It helps when your companion is like that. We didn’t have much success as in return appointments, but we met some way nice people and maybe just planted a seed. It was funny, we came to like 1 or 2 houses and on the door it said "This is a catholic home" haha. I told Elder Twitchell that we should put on the outside of our door "This is a MORMON or LDS home" ha! One guy answered the door with his shirt off and tattoos on his body, and I think we caught him at a bad time because he had shaving cream all over his face! haha. I guess we knocked too hard on this one door, and the person answered the door and said "Are you trying to knock down my door!" haha oops. Wasn’t me.

This week we were asked to pass the sacrament! It was awesome. Brought back some good memories. It was funny, one of the teachers leaned over to me and asked "do you know how to do this?" haha I reassured him that I did.

Remember that guy I told you about who walked to church? His name is Craig. this guy is amazing! Totally prepared by the Lord for the restored gospel. Yeah he walked again and got there at 8:30 before most of the members. He wants to go with us to teach, he is in 2 Nephi 15, he wants our 45 minute lessons to go for 1 1/2 hours, and he wants to move his baptismal date closer! I love teaching him...he just soaks everything up like a sponge! I love that guy.

This week should be pretty good. today we might go mini golfing! Only R12. Also this week we plan to cook spaghetti and meat sauce for 2 families in the ward, and then watch a church movie! So that should be fun.

Drum roll please..the scriptures for the week!
Deuteronomy 32:2
My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass:

D&C 24:12
And at all times, and in all places, he shall open his mouth and declare my gospel as with the voice of a trump, both day and night. And I will give unto him strength such as is not known among men.

D&C 35:13-14
13 Wherefore, I call upon the weak things of the world, those who are unlearned and despised, to thresh the nations by the power of my Spirit;
14 And their arm shall be my arm, and I will be their shield and their buckler; and I will gird up their loins, and they shall fight manfully for me; and their enemies shall be under their feet; and I will let fall the sword in their behalf, and by the fire of mine indignation will I preserve them.

Well, that’s all for today. Mission and Cape Town are the best! I’m just having the time of my life serving the Lord.
This is Elder Haws, signing off.
Till next week!
Watching the Emma Smith movie




Elder Leach and I

No comments:

Post a Comment