South Africa Cape Town Mission Web site click below

Monday, January 2, 2012

It is Elder Nzuki..from Kenya!

Hello family!

Happy New Year!!!! 2012 is here! Horray! The year I go home. Hope that you all celebrated a lot...everyone here in Cape Town sure did!

Thats exciting to hear about your new Primary class. Yes, that is the 1st Article of Faith! and aww man, you're making me miss the sports right about now. The cricket and rugby are still good. these people here are just missing out on the real sports back in the states! Glad to hear that Ryan is doing well. Hummm, will I look older after 2 years?! Probably! freak, 2 years is a long time haha and that rock you got for the Barkers looks sweet.

Yeahh mommy, sometimes we have bugs, but it doesnt seem to be as bad as he has it. We have the fleas under conrtol, and occasionally we'll have a daddy long leg spider in our boarding, but other than that, no complaints. I really like having a neat and tidy/clean boarding. Cleanliness is a form of Godliness, and the spirit wont be there if it looks like a pigsty! haha

My week was good. We did some service for this old less active lady in the ward. She has a hunch and says she doesn't like food. Anyway, we showed up and started working in her garden and then like after 10 minutes she said "all right, thats enough. stop working." I thought she was joking. We just got there! haha if she only knew some of the service projects that I've done, especially in Mdantsane in the blazing heat for hours and hours! I just thought it was funny. But dang woman, she was persistent. We finished up and just chatted inside for a little while. Sometimes, only people just want someone to talk to. The real funny thing was when she went into her purse and wipped out R100 for each of us. Ummm, are you crazy lady?! haha. She like wouldn't let us leave without taking that money. Obviously we didnt take it. It was just nice to be able to serve her, and maybe brighten her day.

This week wasnt very eventful. I feel like I had more cool experiences and stories when I was serving in a township. Elder Giles and I worked hard. I've discovered that working with part member families is good. and its even better if they're less active, well not better, but you know what I mean. You have a chance to re-activate and to baptize! What a great combo. We're working with 2 such families at the moment. Both of them have come to church once, so that is encouraging. The trick is to get them into the habit of coming every week. I'm excited to work with both of them. Another family that we found like a month ago is getting back from Zimbabwe this week. They went up there for the holidays. We havent taught them much, but there's some potential there. Thats the one thing that has alluded me so far on mission...baptizing a family! especially a father led family, like this one. I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but this family seems to have some potential. It's gonna take some work, but good things are gonna happen...hopefully! Theres also a few other people that we need to check up on and follow up with them now that the hectic holiday season is over. It kinda feels like we made it through the storm of the holidays, and now things will begin to settle down a little bit.

This week is transfers...can you believe it! I cant. It seems like they just start going faster and faster the longer I've been out here. Elder Giles and I have been together for 3 months now, and he's been in this area for 6 months now, so he'll probable leave! I kinda hope he does haha because his desire has seemed to have dropped a little bit this last week. I'm not sure if he's just tired of the area or what, but he'll be okay! I have NO simpathy for him because my first area was 6 months, and then I got transfered to like pretty much next door and stayed there for 7 1/2 months...so sorry Elder Giles, I think I had it a little bit worse. haha but I'll admit sometimes I was sick of the area or whatever and wanted to leave, but I hung in there and stuck it out and the Lord has blessed me ever since. The talk from this most recent general conference about waiting in the Lord. Sometimes, you just gotta exercise faith and trust in the Lord and good things will happen.

Elder Nzuki joined us just for today!
A cool thing happened this week. the AP's phoned me up and said that we were going to have a mystery elder join us for a day. Since transfers are coming up, sometimes elders more around early or what what and situations like this happen. They didnt tell us who it was though. but we found out sure enough cuz he slept in our boarding last night! It is Elder Nzuki..from Kenya! Man, what a powerful missionary. He wouldnt say, but Elder Giles and I think that he is the new AP (assistant to President). Sometimes they fly the new AP in early (like they did with Elder Nzuki) just to help with transfers and to make the transition more smooth. I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if he was the new AP. For sure one of the most humble and loving/kind guys that I have ever met. Elder Giles passed out last night, but Elder Nzuki and I chatted until about 1am. He goes home in like March/April. He has such a sweet testimony and love for the Lord. I saw him a little bit over in East London. He'll leave us tonight, but we get to hang out with him for the day today, so that should be fun!

We did stay up for New Years! It was nice to welcome in the new year...but couldn't watch the ball drop because we didnt have a TV but really because it hadn't happened yet! haha. Not many people were at church haha and so we had to bless the sacrament. It was fun! Han't done that in a longg time. Brought back good memories in PQ2.  This week is going to be fun. Transfer week always is! I'll most likely have a new companion on Wednesday! President or the AP's will phone us tomorrow morning and let us know.

I'll look up those scriptures daddy.... but 2 cool ones I found in my study of the scriptures are:

D&C 82:18
And all this for the benefit of the church of the living God, that every man may improve upon his talent, that every man may gain other talents, yea, even an hundred fold, to be cast into the Lord’s storehouse, to become the common property of the whole church—

as well as Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary, and they shall walk, and not faint.

Thanks for all of the love and support you guys give me. You're the best! Hope that this year is prosperous and full of love and joy! September will be here before you know it...so be ready!

LOVE,
Elder Dusty Haws
SACTM Missionary
Just outside our boarding

No comments:

Post a Comment