South Africa Cape Town Mission Web site click below

Monday, October 31, 2011

No flea bites to complain about.

Hey Haws Family!

Thanks for the nice e-mail. Cool pumpkin daddy! They dont really celebrate Halloween here at all. Just another normal day. Probably cuz its such a dangerous place, especially at night! Yeah I did go to the Waters of Mormon once. I came late for some reason, probably cuz of sports. No I havent gotten the package yet. Nahhh I dont need protein powder. Send me some cool churchy stuff or USU stuff instead. The New Zeland won the Rubgy World Cup. Elder Frost was happy I'm sure. Glad you got my post card! Dang, that was fast! Just another reason I love Cape Town, good postal service. mommy, I'll ask around about that teeth thing. Don't worry, I sometimes brush 3 times a day. Elder Giles often falls asleep (passes out) and doesnt brush. haha. I'd have to say the Scheeper family is my favourite so far. We're going there for FHE and we'll take some pictures. We're cooking for them cuz they always cook for us. We're gonna make spaghetti and meat sauce. and daddy, as for the conflict with the temple night and the rival WV vs MC game...."seek first the kingdom of God" but it is a rival game, so have fun at the game, but FOR SURE go to the temple either before then, or soon after. As long as you go, not necessarily when you go, right?! No flea bites to complain about.

As you saw from the pictures, we decided not to hike Table Mountain. Instead, we hiked Loins Head! Is that not beautiful or what?! We parked at a place called Signals Hill...where President Probst took us on our first day in Cape Town over a year ago! Hadn't been there in a long time. The hike wasn't too hard, just beautiful! The pictures tell it all. Man, soo pretty. I kept thinking how boring and mundane and dull East London was. haha Cape Town, I love you! We drove through downtown and there was lots of traffic. As for the hike, it was nice! Loins Head I guess is where President Kimball stood and dedicated this land for missionary service. Also, in the distance, you cant really see it, but there are 12 peaks, what people call the 12 apostles. Look it up. You cant really see 'em cuz of the clouds, but there're there. Anyways, it was another amazing p-day in Cape Town. We'll probably try and hike Table Mountain some other time. Another thing on our "to do" list is to take a tour of the World Cup stadium...

As for the week of missionary work, the real reason I'm in Cape Town, it was great! Nothing too out of the ordinary to report on. Elder Giles and I are practically brothers. I took him on a longg run one morning, and I don't know why, but I like needed to let some frustration out. Nothing bad happened, but I just think that fact of sitting in a car and in lessons all day every day was boring my body, so I just needed to get the blood pumping!! I showed no mercy to Elder Giles. I was wayyy far ahead of him, he was yelling to slow down, but I just kept going hahaha! It felt great. We had some powerful lessons, and got some solid new investigators to work with. they've come to church, we just need to get them a testimony and committed and have the spirit do the work. I'm excited to teach to their needs and answer their questions and resolve their concerns. We had a nice lesson about the atonement with lady who is in the repentance process. It was powerful.
We also helped a lady move, which was stressful for her. She really needed our help, and that's what we're there for.  The zone leaders joined me and my district for district meeting. It was nice! Everything went as planned and they said that I did a really good job. Afterward we got some delicious and cheap lunch (good combo) and got to spend time with the zone leaders in their nice boarding. This week I'm going on exchanges with them, so that should be a blast. Also im going to Fish Hoek for a day on exchanges. Its kinda fun being a district leader cuz I am the one who decides when we go on exchanges! haha

The weather here has been hectic. Some rain and clouds, and lots of in-between.

A weird thing happened at church. the gospel principles teacher for some reason had both his kids in the class with us, and his son (under a year old) would not stop crying! like it was distracting the lesson. So some of the black sisters in the class were holding him, but that didn't work. So never fear, Elder Haws is here! haha Even though techinically it was against mission rules, I took him outside and eventually made him stop crying! Magic! He was really moody, so I held him the entire lesson outside. I just hope the lesson was good for the investigators that were there.

The scriptures are:

D&C 59:21
And in nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things, and obey not his commandments.

Mosiah 4:9-10
9 Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend.
10 And again, believe that ye must repent of your sins and forsake them, and humble yourselves before God; and ask in sincerity of heart that he would forgive you; and now, if you believe all these things see that ye do them.

Thats all from here in Cape Town! Days and weeks just fly by and time is going by faster and faster! Its crazy.  Miss you all soo much! Your missionary son here in South Africa love you!

Talk to you next week!
-Elder Haws

The hike
 
<>
CAPE TOWN!

The view from the hike

Part of the hike...poor Elder Giles haha

A view of Devils Peak from the freeway

Bless this lady's heart. she has cancer, but she's in such good spirits

Look at that feast and the veggies

These are like the only Xhosa's in the ward

The crew who hiked Loin's Head! beautiful

1 comment: