South Africa Cape Town Mission Web site click below

Monday, October 24, 2011

Table Mountain is the 8th wonder of the world!

Dear Family,
Thanks for the nice e-mail. We live in an apartment complex in a place called Diep River. Its like 20 minutes from the mission home. and yeah in the future I could go to Namibia. I'm glad to hear that grandma got my letter. I havent gotten her letter, or that package yet. I will probably soon! Sorry, I dont remember sending you a video, my bad? You never answered me about if aunt Julie got my post card I sent a long time ago.... I havent had any flea bites so far.

I just say right now that I have to write this letter quick quick today because, yes, Table Mountain is calling my name! We gonna hike it today! It is kinda cloudy though, so hopefully it'll pass so I can get some good pictures from the top! I've decided that Table Mountain is the 8th wonder of the world!

As you can see from the pictures, we went to Cape Point last Monday! WOW! It was the funnest P-day that I've had on mission! serious! Oh my gosh. my P-days in East London were lame compared to the ones here! We went over to Fish Hoek and drove with those elders along the beautiful coast, over to a place called Simon's Town where the penguines were! It was sweet to see them! Then we made our way to Cape Point! It is a national park, so it cost R80 to go there, but it was SO worth it! Man, I wish I could type a accurate disctiption of what it was like there! I was speechless! So Cape Point isnt the most southern tip in Africa, but it is where the Atlantic and Indian Oceans meet, and lots of shipwrecks occur. Its the Cape of Good Hope. Man, I wish I coulda stayed there forever! It was soo sweet! It was wayyy windy where we were, up at like a lighthouse. There were also SO many darn tourists. I guess in a way I'm a tourist, but heck I live in Cape Town, I'm a resident haha. That was like a once and a life time experience that I'll remember for a longg time.

The point!!
The week of missionary work was nice. we had a day where we only taught 1 lesson, and had lots of dropped appointments and stuff, so we both were a little down. I feel like the Lord was humbling us and seeing how we would react and respond. because the next day, we taught 5 powerful spirit filled lessons! Elder Giles and I work together well. We teach in unity and have fun while we work! I feel lost when we're driving around because I am so used to East London and Mdantsane streets...but I'm going to start driving this week so hopefully that'll help me learn the area. One thing that I've noticed about Cape Town is that there's a lot of sand, especially in the townships! Another thing about Cape Town is that the weather is very unpredictable. You can experience 4 seasons in a day. Its fine for me though, cuz I'm not walking! ha! Another thing is that heres lots of people here that have like their top front 4 teeth missing...weird! haha

There is an awesome family in this area. The Scheepers! They LOVE the missionaries. They arent dirt poor, but live in a humble home, but fed us 3 meals last week! They want us to come over more often! haha. The meals arent very big, but still, they sacrifice so much for us. I felt bad, so I offered to clean ALL the dishes (yeah, no dish washers) it took like 30 minutes. haha. I love that family.

Church yesterday was nice. We had 5 investigators there. Yeah my talk went well! I wasnt very nervous, and it went exactly as planned. It was only like 5 minutes, but everyone said I did a good job. The gospel principles teacher is freakin hilarious! We were talking about the spirit world, and he said many people die to know where we go when we die, or something like that. I was just dying laughing in the back of the class the whole time. He just has soo much energy when he teaches.

Elder Speed got food posining really bad, so we had to drive the 20 minutes on Friday morning to come to the rescue. He was too sick to go to the chapel for district meeting, so I decided to just have it in their boarding! It went really well! Elder Giles and I found some frozen chicken that expired back in March, and we were hungry, and I gave Elder Giles a hard time about eating it, but it was frozen, so we ate it! We didn't get sick, yet!

The scriptures for the week are:

D&C 112:12-13
12 And pray for thy brethren of the Twelve. Admonish them sharply for my name’s sake, and let them be admonished for all their sins, and be ye faithful before me unto my bname.
13 And after their temptations, and much tribulation, behold, I, the Lord, will feel after them, and if they harden not their hearts, and stiffen not their necks against me, they shall be converted, and I will heal them.


D&C 100: 5-6
5 Therefore, verily I say unto you, lift up your voices unto this people; speak the thoughts that I shall put into your hearts, and you shall not be confounded before men;
6 For it shall be agiven you in the very hour, yea, in the very moment, what ye shall say.

Alright, gotta go! Table Mountain, here I come! Hopefully I'll have some sweet pictures to send home next week!

Love you guys!
Elder Haws


How cute!

Check that out

Cape Point National Park

The district with a beautiful backdrop

Oh Elder Giles how I love you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment