South Africa Cape Town Mission Web site click below

Monday, October 10, 2011

I'm going on a plane!

Greetings Family!
What an epic email! Thank you! Dang it daddy, you told me my transfer news!!!! haha I dont know if I should thank you, or what! haha I'm not going to tell anyone, cuz I'm not supposed to know. Its not a bad thing that you told me. We used to get our transfer news before our emails, but it's changed so now we'll either get it tonight or for sure tomorrow morning! Yay, I'm going on a plane! I was anticipating leaving this place. Like lining up goodbyes and stuff. and heck, why not! I've been over on this side for long enough. (We got a letter from the mission President asking for some information to process Dusty's visa for a transfer to Namibia)

Thanks for sending me a package! I cant wait to get it. but you guys are making me feel guilty! I neeed to send you guys a package, but you guys just keep sending me them! If I never get around to it, I will promise to come home with a suitcase of stuff for YOU!

Dont kill missionaries! haha and gooood, go Chargers! kobe = loser.  That made me smile about your squash daddy! haha! and glad to hear about your new job and your cool experiences.

To answer your question about doctors...I've never been, cuz the Lord has blessed me with such amazing health and I've tried to take care of myself, but basically what happens is that you call the mission mom (sister Wood) and explain the situation and she will give you directions...like an authorization code for our insurance, cuz us elders are insured by like the best company in the world or something like that. I think we just pay a small co-payment (remember those mommy! all the times you took me for my darn foot or shots/things before my mission! haha) and thats about it. Thats about it for the doctor. The times I have felt a little under the weather, I just used the things my awesome super mommy gave me before I left. I even shared with Elder Nilsson and Wolfgramm when they were feeling a little blue.

Daddy, I use that scripture every time I teach people about the plan of salvation. Thanks for sharing that with me! Such a blessing to have that knowledge from the Book of Mormon! Thats why we need to share it with everyone! right?!

Alma 40:11-12
11  Now, concerning the state of the soul between death and the resurrection—Behold, it has been made known unto me by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life.
12 And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow.
This week was just alright. We had 2 really tough days. Not much teaching cuz of dropped appointments! We had them all lined up, SMS (texted) them to remind them, and then they either arent home, or are just too busy and dont want to see us. it wasnt very fun. To add on top of that, it was like 28 degrees!! Yeah it sounds weird, but they use Celsius here, so that is almost 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I think to convert it, you just double it, and add 30.
As you saw from the picture, we had a flat tyre. I felt lazy just standing there, but Elder Nilsson and Oyiembo got down and dirty and changed it pretty fast. Another thing, it popped in like the perfect spot...like it was in the ideal location. Not on the main busy road to mdantsane, but not in the middle of the township. Just another tender mercy from the Lord. Happens all the time!

A highlight of the week I'd say would have to be sacrament meeting. Khayakazi, who I baptized on 28 August had to give a talk! On the Atonement! ...and guess what, she did a fantastic job! I was soo proud of her. She pretty much wrote the entire thing herself, and was nervous, but got up there and just did an absolutely outstanding job. I smiled at her when the bishop announced who was speaking that day, and she looked at me during the talk, and then after she finished and sat down, we made eye contact and both had big smiles on our faces! That is a special girl, and her brother! I might be very sad tomorrow when I have to say goodbye to them :( aww.  We were teasing her brother, because guess what, I'm sure his time to give a talk is soon! Ronald, the guy I baptized in June, has to give a talk in 2 weeks! haha He'll do great.

After she save her talk, Brother Mayta had to give a talk. Guess who wrote his entire talk...yeah, Elder Haws! Serious. The guy is soo incredibly humble and loving, but the topic was on the Atonement, and he had no clue what it was. yeah, this is the same family that I wrote talks for the wife and then one of their boys! man! haha. They are such a great family, and bishop's goal is to have them go to the temple next year, but its just that they're still somewhat new in the church, and struggle big time with English, so I just had to help them out. We went over to their house to help him out with his talk, and he got a pad of paper and pen and set it in front of me and then sat down. I was like ohhh man. I started it then, but decided to just take it home and finish it when I had more time. I did just that, and stayed up till 11pm writing it! haha  I think it turned out very nice, and I even threw my name in it! When he said it in his talk, he was smiling, and so was I! haha. He did great, and I just basically love that family. They fed us a small meal during the week to thank us for helping them out, but then invited us over after church to "celebrate" Tata's talk being over. In the Xhosa culture, the just dish up the food for us, and then leave while you eat. They very rarley eat with you. With most all the meals that I've had on mission, they are at an incredible sacrifice on the behalf of the members. It makes you feel a little bit guilty when you're eating. but yesterday, we got fed at 4pm from someone in the ward, as usual, and we stuffed our faces! This lady is well off, and always cooks a lot of food for us missionaries. After eating that delicious meal, we got dropped of at the Mayta's home, and yeah, just ate that lovely meal that I just explained. Elder Wolfgramm and I were both pretty stuffed, to say the least. Its not very often that missionaries get back to back DA's. We dont even get any DA's during the week, and then to get one within 30 minutes of one another was pretty cool haha

Well, with te news about Namibia that you told me, and just being in one place for so long, some goodbyes are coming up! Those are not very fun. Cuz its true what all missionaries say, you truly start to love and care about those you are teaching, and then when it is time to say goodbye, it can be hard. Oh well, its just part of life as a missionary in God's army! and Namibia is supposed to be like unbelievably hottt, and its just going into summer...niceeeee. bring it.

I dry cleaned my suit this week. Only cost R76 soo a little over 10 bucks. Now it smells nice, and just feels better on me.

This week we watched the Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration movie twice! Both times it was amazing! All I can say is Praise To The Man!  I counted all the temples that i either have been in or seen in my life, and I think it added up to be 14! wow, I'm too blessed. and just think all the ones I'm going to go to as soon as I get back...look out!

Heres a fun fact...Elder Oyiembo is from the tribe of Judah and Elder Wolfgramm is from Manasseh. cool huh?! You dont see that very often

Question, did Aunt Julie ever get that post card I sent her a longg time ago?! Let me know please. cuz if not, I'm sending another one because she is such a great aunt and I love her so much.

The 2 scriptures are Alma 37:44 and D&C 17:6

I would encourage you to get a copy of this months Liahona! It is amazing. Its a special edition on the Book of Mormon! sooo sweet! I haven't even had time to read the entire thing yet, but the part that I have read is really good. so read it!

Well, thats all for today from here in beautiful East London, South Africa! I love you guys very much and think about you very often. Never forget that!

Talk to you next week, I guess from Namibia!

LOVE,
Elder Haws
The FHE we recently had!

I absolutly LOVE that mamma!

At a braai (bbq) for this girls birthday


1 comment:

  1. That's funny that you knew about his transfer before he did :) Both are boys have been transferred now this last transfer. I love reading Dusty's blog!

    ReplyDelete