South Africa Cape Town Mission Web site click below

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Man, can’t get any better!

Family!!!

Yesterday was so great! Skyping wasn’t so bad after all haha. The Smiths did take great care of us. Heck we're using their internet right now...for free!! That’s a blessing cuz I am out of money at the moment. Man, it was so embarrassing today when I was buying groceries...like 3 times in a row it said "Insuffient  funds" awwww!! haha it all worked out though. Things here are more expensive. Mostly cuz they just sent everything up from South Africa, so things cost more. They don’t use Rand, like in SA. They use Namibian dollars. The exchange rate is the same though. Like I told you, that 5K run was fun! Running in the Namibian desert...once and a lifetime experience.

I’m serving in the Katatura Branch. There are 2 branches. The one I’m in and Windhoek (the w makes a v sound) which is the capital city, but super small. It’s a college town, with lots of native Namibians and also Angolans.

Whats up queen size bed!
The branch missionaries are unbelievable! They’re worked soo hard in the absence of missionaries. I am so impressed. The branch has a lot of YSA. And have lots of activities, which are great finding opportunities. We watched the movie Fireproof, which was way good. You should watch it sometime. Some of the branch members just left for Jo-burg to go to the temple. Yeah a 24 hour bus ride! Aren’t we spoiled in San Diego and Utah...

Sitting in church yesterday, I felt like I was really in Africa. Just a small little shed/container that is called the chapel, with fans like right above our head, a little bit unorganized, all black people, etc. It was a cool feeling. What a sweet place to be a missionary. But yeah we plan to do some sweet safaris and get our scriptures covered in some cool skins.

Looking ahead to this week, we're booked! Even teaching people in the morning, and then having a fellowshipper with us the entire day! That is unheard of.

It was funny, before we left Cape Town; President Wood called all 6 of us into his office and just told us about our new assignment. Right before we left, it was weird, he said, Elder Haws, do you have the rope?  I wasn’t sure what rope he was talking about. Then he said the one to tie you down so you don’t get translated! hahaha it was funny.

2 scriptures I liked this week were:

1 Nephi 14:11
And it came to pass that I looked and beheld the whore of all the earth, and she sat upon many awaters; and she had dominion over ball the earth, among all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people.

Alma 17:11
And the Lord said unto them also: Go forth among the Lamanites, thy brethren, and establish my word; yet ye shall be apatient in long-suffering and afflictions, that ye may show forth good bexamples unto them in me, and I will make an instrument of thee in my hands unto the salvation of many souls.

Well, I just wish we could Skype every Sunday! I have a feeling this last 4 months is going to just FLY by! Eventually I’ve gotta decide what to do with my life once I get home, but I’ll worry about that later. I’ve gotta learn this sweet area and remember who's who.

Elder Sheppard said something profound in district meeting. Out of the 50,000+ missionaries in the world, I am one of the lucky 6 that get to serve in this great country. How blessed and lucky am I!

Next week we're flying to Cape Town for zone leader counsel! We’ll be there for like 3 day! Can’t wait! Man, can’t get any better!

Gotta go to work! Love you guys! Talk to you next week!

LOVE,
ELDER HAWS


This is the place where that picture in the Ensign was taken


Our new boarding. nice!


A Namibian sunset!

No comments:

Post a Comment