South Africa Cape Town Mission Web site click below

Monday, March 26, 2012

Bible = Basic Instruction Before Leaving Earth

Hi family!

What a powerful email! I’ve never met the Smiths (senior couple), and I think I’m good on music cuz I put some from Elder Twitchell onto that USB you sent me, so that works out good. Our LDS helping hands is normally in like August or around there, but ya we'll do it. Not many Dear Elder letters recently. Nope, I never went to the festival of colors. Exciting sports news! Thanks for the small update. Sorry to hear about your car! Shame. No payback for Elder Mamaia. No mommy, the lady was dead, no need for CPR. Sometimes we do a lesson on CPR (Church, Prayer and Reading) haha! My shoes are excellent! No complaints whatsoever.
CRAIG'S BAPTISM!!!
As for my week in the mission field, it was quite a good one if I don’t say so myself! It started off last Monday after emailing when we played sport with like 26 elders! We all played soccer, rugby and American football! Man, there are some athletes out here, and others who are, well, not! haha. It was super fun. Then the next day I went on exchanges with Elder Mamaia and walked in his area the entire day. I love working with that guy, and being in a township all day! I miss being in a township, it’s just soo different from everything!

Yes, as you can see from the pictures, we went to Hout Bay! Man, it was probably one of the funniest nights on my mission. We went with Mike and Rose, who both will be baptized at the end of April! We all rode in his car and listened to hymns the whole time...and they really, really loved it! They want some CD's! The fish and s chips on the rocks was delicious! We ate prawns and calamari. He paid for everything. Then we drove on the other side of the mountain, and yessie it was UNBELIEVABLY BEAUTIFUL!!! Wow, words can’t describe it. It would have only been better if it was a little bit lighter, because we went later in the evening, but the lights were spectacular! He bought us some ice-cream and gave us a little tour of Cape Town! We went up to signal hill and that’s where we took those sweet pics! Then he dropped us home. It was for sure a night to remember.

On Saturday we helped the sisters set up for their breakfast they were having in honor for the 170th anniversary of the relief society. It was nice to briefly mingle with the sisters, and then come back after the activity was over to get some breakfast and help clean up. Now that I look back, we've been fed lunch and dinner for the past 3 days! Believe it! The ward just loves us now I guess! Good food too.
We went to ward counsel and I was asked to recite D&C 4, and they were all impressed. If only they knew how many thousands of times brother Toolson and Brother Sexton pounded that into our brains as priests in Young Men’s! haha.
Some of the brethern
I guess an important detail that I shouldn’t forget to mention is that I got transfer news last night! I wasn’t expecting it, but president phones us, and only talked to me, but it was funny, he asked, "Elder Haws, are you comfortable in the Meadowridge ward?" and of course I told him I was. the he said "Well, it’s my job to afflict the comfortable" haha and he told me that I was now going to be a ZONE LEADER of the Cape Central Zone serving in the Mowbray ward, with Elder Rogers!!!!! Wow! Me, a zone leader?! Mowbray is very, very close to Meadowridge, so I won’t be moving very far. In fact, I’ll still be living in the top of the Meadowridge area. Mowbray chapel was the first chapel built in South Africa and has a lot of history there. President McKay has been there and long ago it’s where the mission president lived. But I’m excited! My area is pretty much downtown Cape Town! The car I’ll be driving is a manual haha. Bring it on. Elder Rogers is a sweet guy. I went on exchanges with him. Basically, he's awesome! The weird thing is, is that he goes home in like 3 weeks cuz that’s when his visa expires. So I’m not really sure how that’s going to work...but I am positive President Wood has a plan, so I’m not worried! Man, but I’m going to be sad to leave this ward and all the cool people here...but I’m not going very far at all, and there’s a very high chance that I’ll see most of them around. Being a zone leader is pretty tough, but I’m up for the challenge! I guess a nice thing about not being a district leader is that I won’t have to prepare district meeting anymore. I can actually study every day in my study time instead of preparing for district meeting.

I’m really going to miss Elder Twitchell and Elder Chikara though! Elder Twitchell is staying, and Elder Chikara is going somewhere else! They are in very good hands! I’m jealous haha but I’m going to be hearing all about what happens.

Scriptures: 
D&C 90:11,18,24
 11 For it shall come to pass in that day, that every man shall hear the fulness of the gospel in his own tongue, and in his own language, through those who are ordaned unto this power, by the administration of the Comforter, shed forth upon them for the revelation of Jesus Christ.
18 Set in order your houses; keep slothfulness anduncleanness far from you.
24 Search diligently, pray always, and be believing, and all things shall work together for your good, if ye walk uprightly and remember the covenant wherewith ye have covenanted one with another.

D&C 95:12
12 If you keep not my commandments, the love of the Father shall not continue with you, therefore you shall walk in darkness.

I’m excited and sad at the same time! But I can say with confidence that I left the Meadowridge ward/area better than when I got here! I’ve made friendships and memories that I’ll always remember! What a great area.

LOVE YOU GUYS!!
-Elder Haws

PS: Bible = Basic Instruction Before Leaving Earth
A sweeet family from Ghana

No comments:

Post a Comment