South Africa Cape Town Mission Web site click below

Monday, September 5, 2011

My new title is District Leader Trainer Senior Companion Elder Haws

HEY family!

Logan Temple
Nice pictures! I'm sooo homesick right now! haha jk jk. Glad to hear you made it back safe and sound and that Kelly is now all squared away and sorted out. yeahh I think like 4 elders got sent up to Namibia. and shame about the Aggies! hopefully they'll be good this year!  Your awesome sister sent me their schedule in the mail! and I'm sure it would be nice to come and pick me up, but I've just always had it in my mind, since I was a little kid, to see you in the San Diego airport! Sorry. Thats cool about the sharks... and I know it's grandma's 80th birthday on the 29th, but I highly doubt that a letter will get home from here in East London...but I have a plan to get a letter to my grandma, so it'll make it to her, but it's just going to be late :(

Mommy, that brownie mix you sent...yeahh...it expired 16 June 2011..but we're still gonna make it! haha and in a future package, some low cut socks would be nice and some more daily vitamins would be nice, and a nice new CD or 2! and you can send 'em like aunt Julie in just like a $10 package, not a $45 one.

As for me, this week was hard! transfer week! on Monday night at like 9:30 President Wood phoned us and told me obviously we would be staying together as companions and that I was now the DISTRICT LEADER!! AH! it's true. I am the new district leader for the MD 2nd ward. Oh man, I for sure feel the mantel on my shoulder and a lot more responsibility now. I'm in charge basically. Elder Staheli went to Queenstown and Elder Nilsson replaced him, serving with Elder Oyiembo. that makes up the district! lots of love and humility in the district, its gonna be sweet

New Mission Logo

A district leader has lots of jobs. My new title is District Leader Trainer Senior Companion Elder Haws! haha. one of the toughest part about being a district leader is preparing and holding district meeting on Fridays! It's 1 1/2 hours of training. I was a bit nervous last Friday, but I put a lot of thought, time, and preparation into it and I think it turned out really well! I have to do that every week. but other than that, being a DL is fun. at the end of district meeting, I have to take their reports. so they come in, 1 on 1 and I ask them how their week was. what was the best part, worst part. how their companion and area is doing. anything that President Wood needs to know or anything that I can do for them as their district leader. I take their reports, and then after that the zone leaders take my report, and then I let them know how the district is doing. fun right?! also, in my letter to President Wood that I type, I let him know how things are going. and I like send the stats to the district leaders and I have other responsibilities, but those are pretty much the main ones.

We were driving a rental car, and were on our way to the dealership to get our normal car back, when the tyre got flat! oh no! So we fixed it and then when we got to the dealership they said we needed to fix the tyre, but come to find out there was a hole in the tyre, so we had to buy a dumb new one! R570. but anyway, we finally got our car back, so that is nice. The steering wheel is a bit loose and the brakes can be weird sometimes. I just want I normal car that works! haha. but like I was the one in charge and phoned the mission vehicle coordinator and stuff and like talked to the people about getting our car back and a new tyre and everything. kinda stressful, but it was okay.

The newcomer to the district, Elder Nilsson, is from Oklahoma, and is in my transfer! man, he is powerful! This is his first time being a senior companion, and has just been a junior comp so far on mission. and to think that I went into a co-companionship when I was just 6 months on mission. haha. He is pretty much the exact opposite than Elder Staheli. He is very obedient, humble, strong testimony and desire to be a missionary all day everyday. He is pretty hard on himself, and is extremely organized and through. He is feeling a bit overwhelmed cuz of the new area and just everything, but he'll be alright, I got his back.

A highlight of the week was when we gave Khayakazi and Khanyasani the pictures from their baptism, along with a nice chocolate bar! You shoulda seen 'em! Sooo happy! They said we were the best ever and stuff haha. then, to watch Khanyasani pass the sacrament yesterday, yeah it was awesome. Those 2 are amazing.

One night we got back to the boarding and there was no power! We lit a candle, planned, then we were fasting, so basically just brushed our teeth and went to bed. nothin' else to do! haha.

Man, drunk people are annoying as heck! haha just thought you should know that. they always say they love us and like follow us around. Also, we took the barbell from the other elders boarding, so now we have a little something to work out with...nice! We made some spaghetti and meat sauce the other day, and come to find out we bought the hot & spicy sauce...so both of our mouths were on fire! haha

Its true, on Friday I click 1 YEAR on mission! Its unbelievable! I'm not sure what we're gonna do, but I think that bishop invited us over for dinner, so that'll be nice. At least I'll have some food in my belly haha. I guess it's all downhill from here, right?! man, time flies by!

Throughout my mission I've seen the hand of the Lord in my life and in this great work soo many times, but also more recently. his tender mercies are everywhere. I promise you, I see too many coincidences over here in beautiful South Africa every day. what a great blessing it is to be serving here at this time in my life. There is no other place I'd rather be, that's for sure.

The 2 scriptures for the week are

3 Nephi 27:21 
Verily, verily, I say unto you, this is my gospel; and ye know the things that ye must  do in my church; for the works which ye have seen me do that shall ye also do; for that which ye have seen me do even that shall ye do;

and D&C 6:20
Behold, thou art Oliver, and I have spoken unto thee because of thy desires; therefore treasure up these words in thy heart. Be faithful and diligent in keeping the commandments of God, and I will encircle thee in the arms of my love.

Well, the time is far spent. thanks for all of your constant love support! You guys are awesome!

LOVE,
Elder Haws
My proselyting shoes after 1 year of work (9 months of walking)
The view from our shower!

Just a sign from one of the newspapers
A few elders from my transfer! We all saw each-other on transfer day!


No comments:

Post a Comment