South Africa Cape Town Mission Web site click below

Monday, August 29, 2011

Until God moves you, bloom where you are planted.

Hey Fam!

Alright, lets try this again! I'm not gonna lie, last week I was sad! All that hard work of trying..all for nothing! Dumb computer, even though it was the operators fault. it didn't even say "Are you sure you wanna delete it" or anything. oh well! wont happen again!
Just to summarize that week, it was good as usual. the service was lots of fun and the Nyandoro's had a baby! Now there's 6 kids in that family and not much money. She kept it a secret from us, we didn't even know she was pregnant! haha and she asked us to come up with names of the baby! haha that's how much they love the missionaries. I wrote it in more detail, but when Elder Staheli was interviewing the 2 baptismal candidates, the first one came out after a long time, and looked sad and Staheli said she failed. Her brother came out of his interview and showed me a scripture and said they couldn't get baptized cuz I didn't teach them something...I was like WHAT?! They all started busting out laughing, cuz they were just messin with me! I was scared! haha they got me good though. The bad news was that the other baptismal date we had, yeah she got a job in Durban..so obviously she wont get getting baptized. I was bummed. Oh well.

Sorry I cant really remember the questions you asked in the last email. I promise that I answered them in the last email, that got erased. so just ask them again and I'd be more than happy to answer them. but yes, I would LOVE some pictures from Logan! Maybe just send them in a letter sometime, along with a new CD daddy! hook it up! President Wood said we can listen to any kind of music, not only hymns..so help me out daddy! thanks! I remember that day we hiked that mountain daddy..you made it!! I knew you would you stud muffin. and yeah I just take a peek every week at my blog haha. and woooow, just had to throw that Cafe Rio line in there..thanks! AH! I would do anything for a Cafe Rio meal.  I got that wonderful surprise package from Aunt Julie! WOW! it was awesome, and totally made my day! I thought the zone leaders were just pulling my leg when they said I had a package!  I'm not gonna lie, why did she sent peanut butter?! hahahah and that pen was EPIC! soo cool! thank you Aunt Julie! you are the best ever! and there are no kids to write, I'm sorry.

Last week for P-Day we played a little game of touch rugby! There were only 8 of us playing, and most of us had no clue what was going on, but dang it was fun! For sure different than football, but it was neat to play and learn some of the rules.
OUR BAPTISM!!
I went on 2 exchanges this week! The first one was in my area with Elder Oyiembo! We had a pretty good day! He is such a humble and loving guy who always puts others before himself. then, the next day, I went on an unforgettable exchange with the one and only Elder Whiting! man!! soo fun!  We for sure payed for it the next day for being up late! haha was it worth it, I say yes!  All the appointment's we had dropped, but we still had a decent day. Oh my gosh it was nice to be in a lesson where I didn't have to teach the entire thing haha no offense to Wolfgramm.and it was nice to be in a car all day that day, cuz it was kinda chilly and my legs enjoyed their much needed rest. Cuz on p-day we just play sport and don't even get to rest!  I was soo proud of my son! He held down the area while I was away. He said he was wayy nervous and scared, but he survived. He did the exact things that I woulda done if I was there.
It was a great day!
Since our teaching pool is soo low, we decided to go finding. man, gotta love tracting huh!? Elder Wolfgramm was scared. The first door he knocked he said "hi, do you know where the church is?" hahaha not hi how are you, or didn't introduce himself! haha aw shame. The next house he mustered up his courage, and did better just introduced himself as Elder Haws!! hahah! man, good times. I remember when I was a greenie knocking on doors. It's scary and takes some practice.

As you can tell from the pictures..we had a baptism! man, it was awesome. Everything went just as planned. It was perfect. but yessie the water was freezing again! You should a seen their faces as they came up out of the water. I mean, I was in up to my waist and was frozen haha. They both were so happy. They got changed and bore their testimonies! man! it was powerful. We had practiced a little bit, but they did so good up there in front of everyone! and what was even better was that there mom (who isn't a member) was there. Maybe what they said touched her and she'll have the desire to join us in the lessons we have at their house and someday get baptized.
Yesterday right after church we had a ward missionary fireside! I'm not gonna lie, we just planned to wing it! haha like we just assigned what each of us were going to say like 5 minutes before it started! haha but in the end, it turned out amazing! We weren't expecting many people to show up, but to our surprise, it was packed! I was a little intimidated with everyone looking at me and not being exactly sure what I was going to say next. but i did just fine. Bishop came in and was just saying some powerful stuff! dang. I hope that fireside kind of excited the entire ward to do missionary work, cuz honestly, we are struggling to find people to teach at the moment. This week is transfer week. I'm most likely going to stay, so I'm not too excited for any news.
I found a quote that really applies to me I think. it is "Until God moves you, bloom where you are planted" nice!
The scriptures of the week are
Romans 5:11 (only time in New Testament where it mentions 'Atonement')
11 And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

D&C 60:1-2
1 Behold, thus saith the Lord unto the elders of his church, who are to return speedily to the land from whence they came: Behold, it pleaseth me, that you have come up hither;
2 But with some I am not well pleased, for they will not open their mouths, but they hide the talent which I have given unto them, because of the fear of man. Wo unto such, for mine anger is kindled against them.
and Psalms 118:24
24 This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

I'm so grateful for the work that I have been called here to do. I know the eternal significance of the things that I'm doing for the lives of these amazing people. You truly do come to love the people that you teach and serve with. I've also come to realize how lucky and special I am to have been born into such and amazing family with this precious gospel, and to live soo close to the best temple in the entire world! The Lord has blessed me with soo much. Almost too much sometimes. I  just try to show my gratitude and love back towards Him by the way I serve Him. Few things compare to being able to serve the Lord with all your heart, might, mind and strength 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for 2 years. what a blessing.

Do you know what time it is? Its time to tell you I LOVE you :)
Have a safe drive home to SD. Thanks for all the things you do for me!
LOVE,
Elder Haws
Just tracting with a nice sunset
There was a trash strike...
If you look closely at the bottom right corner..yeahh that orange machine CRASHED into it
Okay, that was the last time we stay up till 4am

when the car broke down and we were all pushing it
All us elders in the zone around our rental truck!
The curse of the exchange! all our appointments dropped

Africa is beautiful

1 comment:

  1. I hope Derek is as good a missionary as Dusty! Thanks for sharing his letters!

    ReplyDelete