South Africa Cape Town Mission Web site click below

Monday, July 11, 2011

Only the best from Elder Haws!

Hi Family

Thanks for the cool pictures this week! congrats Sadie. haha. haven't gotten the invite yet. Shame mom, you and Raleen's dreams of us 2 getting married are now shattered. sorry! Of course I remember President Northcutt. That guy is awesome! I would be honored to have him as a mission president. He always has good stories. No problems with people wanting to kiss me here, but sometimes the BIG Xhosa mammas go in for a hug, but just cuz they don't know any better.

To answer something Aunt Julie asked, no I don't have a South African license. My Cali license works over here. Thanks daddy for the sneak attack letter! It made me smile! Maybe you could group all of your questions together so it would be easier for me to see them and so that I could make sure that I answer all of them. It's hard to always try and scan for them haha. But daddy, you're a genius! I support your invention 100%! haha thats smart. I miss you and me always doing those little handyman jobs around the house and the yard. Yeahh the members go to the bush too, they have like a ward activity when the "booty" (young boy) comes back from the bush, so they don't drink the beer.

Good news, the weather was warm this week! but sometimes it gets kinda chilly in the night. so its either enjoy the daytime hours in the sun in a short sleeve shirt, or suffer through them in a suit coat and then be kinda warm at night. Mommy, those sweet and expensive shoes are absolutely amazing! I love them, so much. you sure did take care of your son before his mission to make sure I was set for these 2 years. Thank you! but I'm not gonna lie, the bottoms are getting pretty worn out...we'll see how much more walking I'm going to be doing these next 14 months and how the shoes hold up.

This week was just okay. a week ago we met President and Sister Wood! Wow, totallyyy different than the Probsts. they were both just kinda hanging out chatting with us while the other elders were still arriving, they were chewing gum, and just totally chill. then, they were like cracking jokes when they were introducing themselves to everyone. It was funny. here are some of the first words President Wood said "we're from Alaska, where many are cold, and few are frozen" haha! D&C121. They both shared their conversion stories and testimony. it was powerful. then, we each took turns interviewing with them. While I was in with president, Elder Grow was sitting with sister Wood. President is awesome. He just like asked about my family, then asked me to share my testimony. It was a nice interview. He said he loved my smile :) niceeee hahah. Before they left, he told us to go tear up our areas! haha for sure different, but I love them! He is more lenient on what we can do on p-days. Like today, there was no problem with us to go to the lion park..which would take a lot of asking from President Probst! hmmm, that makes me think, what is President Probst up to these days...

During the week the elders worked hard. Did we see much success? no. did we do all that we could so at the end of the day we were satisfied? yes!

I mean, on Saturday, we had some appointments in the afternoon, but we taught one at 2pm, then from 3pm till 8pm when the other guys picked us up, we walked! yeah, we sat down like twice, but we were just walking everywhere trying to contact and follow up on as many people as we could. and I'm not gonna lie, walking in a township at night is scary! Like the dogs, and other people walking on the street can be shady. We don't plan to walk at night, but sometimes that's just what happens. Yessie, I have seen and met some crazy, weird and strange people! man.

Yesterday in sacrament meeting, the 3 speakers all spoke on the same topic..which was "what does my membership in the church mean to me?" it made me think.....

Well, this week I finally finished the New Testament! now, I'm going to read the Book of Mormon again! I love reading that book. studies and reading in the morning is something that I really look forward to every day. I learn soo much every morning.

The good scriptures of the week are
Alma 26:12,16

"12Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.
16Therefore, let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yea, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel."

 and

Luke 21:19  "In your patience possess ye your souls."

Next week is transfers! to be honest, the area is tough, and I've been in East London for a looooong time, but I might be spending my entire first half of my mission in pretty much the same place. Does that fact bother me? Yeah seeing new places would be nice and shopping/emailing at the same place gets old after many months, but I know the Lord calls elders to serve where He needs them...so who am I to want to go anywhere else. just like the hymn."I'll go where you want me to go, I'll say what you want me to say, I'll be what you want me to be" it's as simple as that!

Missionary work is so rewarding in every aspect. Both for me personally, and for those that I teach. Time is just flying by! I always think about how much I love my family and how much I miss them! Don't get me wrong, I love Africa and the people, but there's only one place like home and my family! But then, as soon as I get home, I'm going to miss Africa and all of the people! ah! I'm learning a lot about myself over here. I have lots of good days, but some days seem never ending. I've discovered that attitude is the little thing that makes a big difference. I'm not going to settle for meritocracy. Only the best from Elder Haws!

Until next week!

Elder Haws


They call me...the white tiger!

 
Kind of a cloudy day, but it still was beautiful

 
haha JUMP!


Malgus brothers!
 
Elder Farley and I walking through shacks
 
Our big service project



The baptism! Pam and Chris

That cheetah is looking at me!
 
Malgus brothers!

Yeah, that's a Lion


LOVE all those people!


4th of July in East London!


1 comment:

  1. I can't believe those shacks!! Dusty is seriously "tearin it up!" I'm so proud of that boy! I love reading his letters because I feel like I get to know him more all the time. Thanks for sharing with me!

    ReplyDelete