South Africa Cape Town Mission Web site click below

Monday, August 20, 2012

Dearest Family,

I’m glad you liked the pictures from last week. But don’t worry, I have some cooool ones for when I get home that I haven’t sent to you. That’s way cool that you're towing Kelly’s car up to Logan! Good, now she can drive me around when I get up there eventually haha. That’s awesome the PQ2 ward is doing a fast like that. I am so excited I’ll get to participate in it! …But let’s for sure do it a few days or so after I’m home...cuz I am dying for some Connie Haws cooking!! ahhhh! I’m sick of peanut butter sandwiches and noodles. No thanks. Never eating those for the rest of my life!! Haha. Daddy, you must get that motorcycle! My companion, Elder Farley, loves motorcycles, especially Harleys! He said you should get it. Don’t worry about Diane’s doll.
What the heck is that?
I’ve discovered that I’m the kind of guy that enjoys the elements and weather and stuff, and to be honest, I’m sick of all this perfect weather I’ve had haha its might sound crazy, but when I was serving in Cape Town, I was blessed with beautifully amazing weather...but now there its cold and miserable. I come up to Namibia, right after the blazing summer that they always have, only to have had like 4 months now of perfect weather. Logan, here I come! Shake things up a little bit haha.

Mormon helping Hands
Not too many things to report on here this past week. Just busy doing missionary work as usual. Let’s see, what can I tell you about this week. I guess the first thing that comes to mind is the Mormon Helping Hands we did on Saturday morning! I think it was on the same day all throughout Africa...cuz by the sounds of things you weren’t doing service recently. We all met up at the Sam Nojuma stadium right across from the cemetery where we were asked by the city to paint its walls. Both branches were there, lots and lots of people. The mayor of Katutura was there and said some words and then we went to work! We didn’t paint the entire fence/wall, because that would have taken days, but the part we did looks real good. It was fun to be out serving with the saints. It was awesome! But mommy, I didn’t wear sunscreen, so I got burnt. my poor neck! It’s used to being covered up by the collar of my white shirt. I learned a trick from a member in Cape Town...take an ice-cube and just rub the sunburn. It works! Haha

Another thing that comes to my mind was our recent convert François’s talk at church. This is the guy who is the head of the music department at UNAM and lectures from 8am to 5pm at the university. He did such a good job on his talk about perseverance. He seemed like such a natural up there. His nonmember wife was there as well. I love that man. Always happy and willing to do whatever is asked of him.
Nightly planning meeting
We had 10 investigators at church, but most of them were younger and not the kingdom builders that we're looking for, but it was still good nonetheless. We stayed for the mission prep class that is held after church. Those 5 or so members that stay are such champs. I just feel so lucky and privileged that my mission prep teacher up in Logan was a former mission president! The teacher here is just a humble returned missionary who still does a great job. I’ve noticed, here in a YSA branch you need to have refreshments if you want people to show up to stuff haha. It works though.

Good news, Elder Farley and I ran this morning! Almost died because I was so out of shape, but it felt spectacular! My body was so happy. I’m not one of those elders that just before he goes home works out like crazy and attempts to get in shape. I told the lord I’d focus all my time, talents and efforts on serving him for a full 2 years, so I’ll just lift when I go home. It was funny, on Friday night after we finished planning and ate in our boarding, we both just started studying. We said to each other when in the next couple years of our life are we going to be studying the gospel on a Friday night! Might as well live it up and enjoy it now while it lasts!

But guess who is coming in less than a week...the one and only President Wood and ELDER CARL B COOK!!!! Its finally going to happen! The Smiths and we have been advertising/publicizing it like crazy. It’s a big event. He is flying in that morning...then he is speaking in both branches sacrament meetings, then holding a fireside that night! But it gets better. The next day, he is having zone conference with us elders!! Then he fly’s to Cape Town the next day and has zone conference, etc. he's doing a mission tour. I’m soooo lucky to have been able to say I got to meet 3 general authorities.

Since he is coming, it means I might not email on Monday next week? I don’t know. I just got the agenda and I am the one conducting the meeting! AH! Haha bring it on. I aint scared. But it means I also have to give my departing testimony! Oh boy. It’s going to be a spiritual weekend that’s for sure!

I was laughing when Elder Morris would tell me that he was dreaming of home and the airport...but once and a while it happens to me! Haha. I don’t talk about home as much as he did, but I guess it’s just a natural thing that happens! Ha it won’t faze me though, I’m still here to work, work and work some more until president tells me its time to go home to all of you!

It was weird to think that about half of the elders that were in my transfer went home for school! Elder Morris included! That fetcher is with his mommy at some beach house right about now haha. nahh good for him. We were giving them a hard time about going home 3 weeks early but then came the clever response "We did all that the Lord needed us to do in the 23 months we were here. It only took us that long." haha its just weird cuz I was with all of them in the MTC oh so long ago and now they're home. And now, I guess that makes me one of the oldest elders in the mission!

Sorry I forgot the scriptures last week. I remembered later on in the day. I’m getting forgetful in my old age haha.

2 Nephi 28:28
28 And in fine, wo unto all those who tremble, and are angry because of the truth of God! For behold, he that is built upon the rock receiveth it with gladness; and he that is built upon a sandy foundation trembleth lest he shall fall.

D&C 112:14
14 Now, I say unto you, and what I say unto you, I say unto all the Twelve: Arise and gird up your loins, take up your cross, follow me, and feed my sheep.

LOVE YOU ALL VERY MUCH! see you super soon!
-Elder Haws

No comments:

Post a Comment